Monday, January 25, 2010

Eating my words...

I remember, long before I had kids, I would look at parents of small children and wonder why their kids behaved the way they did. I would never say it, but of course I would think...my children will never behave that way...but of course they do! I remember before I had kids I would see people give their kids junk food and let them stay up late and think they were crazy...and of course I am now that crazy mom! Of course I do try to feed them well...but you'd never know it by the way my 19 month old yells "BURGER" or "CHICKEN NUGGETS" ever time we pass a fast food place! At each stage of parenthood I have said,"How can they let their kids..." but each time I end up eating my words! I think too often as moms we are able to look at other moms and expect that their experience should be just like ours...but as a mom of three I realize that each child is completely different. Each child has been uniquely created by God! They have their personality, fears, strengths, and weaknesses. They have their good days...and their bad. There are many times where I have looked back and wished I had done something differently...but I can't change the past. God gives us those moments of "eating our words" to teach us. I know as a mom I have learned not to be so judgmental of others, to apologize to my children when I make a mistake, and most importantly to trust God with the lives of my children. He loves them even more than I do.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, Kayla! Katie says "beans and rice" if you ask her what she wants to eat or what she has eaten. You know we aren't feeding her that every meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God gives us those "eat our words" moments to make us humble. Paul writes in Romans that God wants us "to be conformed to the likeness of his Son". One of the characteristics of Jesus was humility.

    ReplyDelete